What's so special about mobile anyway?Author: MOBI
- Over 60% of consumers in NZ, Australia, and the USA have smartphones, and this number keeps rising.
- 79% of people aged 18-44 have their smartphone with them 22 hours of the day.
- 61% of consumers visit restaurant websites, and looking up menus on a mobile device while out and about is becoming increasingly common.
- 82% of restaurateurs say that online and mobile ordering will become more popular in the future.
- 46% of customers say they would use a restaurants app if there was one available.
- More than 24% of consumers said they’ve placed an order online, and over 60% of them said it improved their experience.
How does this affect me?
With such a large number of people using smartphones and mobile devices, it’s no wonder the way information is spread is changing.
Restaurants used to be able to rely on word of mouth and foot traffic to get new customers, but these days it’s just not enough.
More and more, hungry consumers will jump on their smartphones to search for places to eat around them. If your restaurant doesn’t have a mobile website, or (even worse!) no website at all, you may as well be invisible.
Checking out a menu online is common for smartphone users deciding where to eat. It’s convenient, and efficient – unless your website isn’t optimised to be viewed on a mobile device.
What’s important for my mobile site?
- Make sure your website and menu is up to date
- Your mobile site doesn’t need as many features and pages as your desktop website might. So stick to the basics – it will also help it load faster on mobile devices.
- Have key information (opening hours, address, contact number) somewhere that is easy to find.
- Ensure there are no typos – it seems obvious, but it’s worth double and triple checking to make sure everything is perfect.
- Consider adding links to any social media profiles your restaurant has – if the customer is using a smartphone, chances are they’ll be on Facebook or Twitter.
What’s the difference between a mobile site and an app?
A mobile site is your website, optimised for display on a mobile device. It can be the same as your standard website, or it can be a simplified version with just the key information a potential customer would want to know. People can find this by searching in their web browser. You can have the same functionality as your standard website, including making reservations, online ordering and signing up for newsletters.
An app is created for specific devices and is downloaded through the Google Play (for Android) or The App Store (for iPhone/iPad). These are generally more expensive to create, but they come with a different level of functionality. You can use an app as a loyalty system for customers, as a platform for customers to order their food, to promote deals, make reservations – basically if you can dream it you can do it.
So there it is – why it’s important to have a dedicated mobile site/app, and some key things to remember when optimising your website for mobile devices.
If you’re looking to get online but don’t know where to start, Mobi2Go has a range of options that take the hassle out of getting your website online and mobile ready. Get in touch to find out how we can help!
Other articles you might be interested in
Are you ready to boost sales by reaching customers at home? Below, our friends at BringIt share...
Update – 24 January 2018Apple have revised their stance on white labelled apps and are now more...
We are excited to be named as a finalist in the Hospitality, Food and Beverages category for the...